DAY 1: CUSCO – LARES HOT SPRINGS – WACAWASI
Depart cusco at 5:00 am by van to lares hot springs where the hike begins. This takes about 3 hours. Our crew of local horseman cooks and guide will take care of all the details during of the hike. Once in lares hot springs you can enjoy the natural hot pools surrounded by the mountains and the river. After a hearty lunch we will pack up and start the hike to the village of Wacawasi which takes approximately 4 hour. We start ascending gradually on the uphill path from 3300 masl to 3800 masl on the way we appreciate llamas and alpacas eating on the grassy hills and you will trek through beautiful scenery with a variety of flora, changing with the seasons. This type of landscape will be our company during the hike. After 4 hour of grueling but beautiful hike we reach to Wacawasi village, where our tents will be set. Horses carry the majority of the gear so you will only need to carry a small daypack with water, rain gear, snacks, camera, sunscreen, etc.
Distance: 12km 6ml
Climate: warm in the day and cold in the night
Hiking time: 4 hour approximately
Camping altitude: 3800m 12467ft
DAY 2: WACAWASI – AURACCASA PASS – YANAHUARA
Today we begin our hike at the village of Wacawasi. Early in the morning we wake you with hot coca Té delivered to your tent. After hearty breakfast we start our hike up to Auraccasa pass. Today we hike uphill through a stage of Rocky Mountains and grassy hills on the way we appreciate many stone houses on top of the hills and farmers growing potatoes on the vertical hillsides and also we appreciate many llamas and alpacas grazing on the hills. After 3 hour uphill hiking we reach to Auraccasa this is the highest point of the trek at 4550m. Once at this point we will celebrate our successful ascent to the highest point. Offering coca leafs to the Andean gods and we have opportunities for pictures. Afterwards we start descending down to Auraccocha Lake to enjoy our delicious lunch next to the beautiful lake. In the afternoon we have 3 more hours of hike down to Yanahuara village another attractive place. From the lunch spot, to yanahuara the scenery changes very fast from Rocky Mountain to the dense vegetation of Queuñas woods (Polylepis australis) plants characterized by having a twisted trunk, although in some areas some trees can reach 15-20 m tall trunks with 2 m in diameter. Some Queuña trees grow above 5000 meters, placing to the Queuña tree as gender with the highest distribution of angiosperm trees in the world.
Yanahuara is the place where we sleep. After walking and enjoying the village of Yanahuara we go to the campsite where our tents will be set.
Distance: 14 km 9ml
Climate: from cold to warm in the day and warn in the night
Hiking time: 8 hour approximately
Camping altitude: 3700m 12139ft
DAY 3: YANAHUARA – OLLANTAYTAMBO - AGUAS CALIENTES
Today we have many things to do and see. After breakfast we start our hike around 8:00 am downhill hike to the sacred valley of the incas This section of the Sacred Valley is very interesting because we have the opportunity to see many corn and potatoes plantations and visit the house of a family to learn to prepare chicha (corn beer) sacred drink at the time of the Incas and still prepared in the sacred Valley of the Incas and the best part will be to taste the chica afterwards a van will take us to ollantaytambo around half hour car drive.
Once in ollantaytambo town we have the chance to explore the picturesque town. Ollantaytambo is the living inca town you can walk around to see the original inca street and stairways if you have enough time you can climb up to pinkuylluna mountain which takes about half hour. From Pinkuylluna Mountain you have a panoramic view of ollantaytambo. In the afternoon we catch the train for a relaxing, scenic ride to Aguas Calientes where we have accommodation in the hotel and dinner at the restaurant in town.
Distance: 13 km 6.5ml
Climate: from warm to hot in the day and warm in the night.
Hiking time: 5 hour approximately
Atleast you are going spend 8 to 9 hour in machu picchu. Then you have to go back to aguas calientes town in order to catch the train back to ollantaytambo town. From ollantaytambo transfer you back to cusco by car and we drop you in your hotel in cusco.
DAY 4 MACHUPICCHU – CUSCO
After breakfast in the hotel very early we go to the bus station to catch the bus up to Machu Picchu in order to be in Machu Picchu by 6:00 am because Machu Picchu opens at 6:00 am. The only time that we got to see Machu Picchu with no people is only in the mornings because later Machu Picchu is crowded. We always try being the first ones in Machu Picchu to enjoy it better and see the sunrise. Afterwards the guide will get you around machu picchu doing the tour for about 2.5 hour in order to get to know very well about machu picchu. Then you have free time to explore machu picchu by yourselves. If you booked the extra tickets for Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain you are going to climb one of these mountains.
Machu Picchu is located in the middle of nowhere and up on the granite mountain edge, there is no any records about machu picchu of the incas time. It is not mentioned in any of the chronicles of the Spanish conquistadors and archaeologists.
machu picchu was under the dense vegetations until july 24th 1911. When the American historian Hiram Bingham (who was in search of Vilcabamba) discovered it that is why he called it "the lost city of the incas".
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Pre-departure Lares trek briefing, presented by your tour guides at our office in Cusco
- Transfer from your hotel in Cusco to head of Lares trek. At Lares hot springs (starting point of the trek).
- Weight Allowance: 7 Kilograms per trekker (weights to be carried by horses)
- Professional multilingual Tour guides and leaders
- Cooks and cooking equipment
- Well treated local horsemen and horses (service to carry tents, food, cooking equipment and 7 kilograms of your personal belongings)
- Accommodation in Machu Picchu | Aguas Calientes (1 night)
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Two and half hours Machu Picchu guided tour.
- Bus ticket up from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu complex
- Expedition train ticket on Day 3 from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes town.
- Return Expedition train ticket on Day 4 from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- transfer from Ollantaytambo train station to your hotel in Cusco on day 4
- 3 Nutritious Breakfast
- 3 energetic lunch
- 3 Delicious Dinner
- 1 sleeping bag liner per person
- Vegetarian food available upon request with no extra charge
- Nutritious Snacks during the hike
- Hot coca tea kindly brought to your tent every morning during the trek.
- Hot water bowls - every morning and evening for washing
- Two liters boiled water every day after breakfast and lunch to refill your water bottles.
- Clean and spacious 4 people capacity Tents – only 2 people per tent
- Comfortable Personal sleeping pad (double foam), to be carried by the horses.
- Dining and cooking tent
- Portable camping tables and chairs
- 24 hours emergency oxygen assistance
- First aid equipment
- Bio-degradable personal hand soaps
- Bio-degradable dishwashing detergents used by our kitchen staff
- Accommodation, food, transport for our horsemen and cooks
- Safe storage of your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking the Lares trek
- Specialized travel advisor assigned for you to customize the rest of your Peru Trip
- High-quality service and support
- Entrance to the hot springs in Lares
- Breakfast on day 1
- Last Lunch on day 4
- Personal trekking gear
- Sleeping bag. If you like you can rent from us USD 20. All sleeping bags are laundered between each trek
- Tips to guide and support staff
- Extra personal expenses.